The Sound: Frank Harlow, Luthier

1398 reads
McPickin's picture

For those of you that have not heard, I have produced a Documentary about Frank Harlow who is known world wide for his Luthier skills creating Resophonic guitars (commonly referred to as a dobro). It is titled: The Sound: Frank Harlow, Luthier.

The production is intended to show a side of Frank that most folks don't get a chance to see. There are numerous guests appearances and some performances, public and private in the program from some well known top artists talking about Frank and showcasing Frank's guitars. Frank is Peerless with his builds. Other builders use techniques he pioneered.

It will be shown in June through KET TV in Kentucky. Here is al link to the initial scheduled air dates: https://www.ket.org/series/KFHLU/

KET will also see if other PBS stations in the U.S. wish to show it in their areas. I have contacted a few other PBS affiliates already such as WGVU in Michigan, and they are very receptive. Note: The PBS version has few credits and some edits to meet their government requirements.

I am sending a Full Version to Fretboard Journal Magazine to use online, and am working with Acoustic guitar Magazine who also expressed interest in online featuring. More on this as it develops.  

If you would like to view the promo video, use this link:

https://vimeo.com/166281500

The project was fun to make, and I could not have done it without my friend Elijah Knuckles who filmed and edited the program with me. 

Folks interested in purchasing a copy may contact me at shadowsoundworks@gmail.com.

Enjoy!

Dan

Comments

daver's picture

Thanks for sharing that Dan!

Daver

Inveterate Tinkerer

McPickin's picture
McPickin's picture

Please note: If  you would like to see this program on your local PBS station, please call or email them (cut and paste the URL of the promo above, and or the Bluegrass today article above) and let them know it is listed on the PBS national schedule and is available. I have contacted several PBS Stations myself opting to not  pay a large fee for them to market the program for me, but cannot contact them all. Your voice would help.

Thank you.

Dan

McPickin's picture

One of the Harlow owner/Artist's who graciously contiributed music for the background is none other than Mr. Danny Lee Allison!

I selected 3 of his tunes for use. Danny is very talented, check out his you tube efforts!.

McPickin's picture

Other contributing artists in the program: Steven Baldridge/Goldwing Express; Gary Hultman of The Boxcars cameo; Larry Cordle and Lonesome Standard Time festuring Kim Gardner; Tim Surrett from Balsam Range with a solo, cameo, and a Balsam Range tune on the sound track; Ferrell Stowe cameo with several of his tunes on sound track. Bryan England from Custom Inlay Inc cameo; and the host plays a tune on dobro and also plays a flattop with Frank on dobro. I hope everyone finds something they enjoy in the program.

Dan 

bluegrass2's picture

McPickin:

One of the Harlow owner/Artist's who graciously contiributed music for the background is none other than Mr. Danny Lee Allison!

I selected 3 of his tunes for use. Danny is very talented, check out his you tube efforts!.

Aw shucks,Dan...I sure thank you for asking me to be a part of this tribute/documentary.Nice job of putting it all together too.

McPickin's picture

Fretboard Journal online magazine: https://www.fretboardjournal.com/video/the-sound-a-documentary-on-luthie...

Fretboard Journal Facebook also is featuring the program: https://www.facebook.com/fretboardjournal/posts/10154923997228167

McPickin's picture

WGVU in Grand Rapids Michigan (PBS) will Broadcast the program on Sunday October 22nd at 4:00 p.m. E.S.T.

Dan

martinman54's picture

After watching this documentary, I just couldn't stand it any longer........and ordered a Jumbo Cherry!  Which I got delivered to my door this morning.  What a cannon this guitar is!  Glad I got one now because the 70 year old blackheart cherry that Frank builds these out of is almost gone!

bluegrass2's picture

Good for you. Enjoy that new Harlow!

User login