Nostalgic Scheerhorn thread.

1137 reads
Lakeview's picture

As time has moved along I have noticed a few things and I am curious about your perspectives. I guess the first observation would be that the introduction of the National Scheerhorns was a bit of a buzz kill on the ongoing escalation of prices for the brand. In fact, even though Tim's signed guitars seem to show up a lot less frequently , it seems the price point has softened. Matt Leadbetter's guitar lingered on the "hangout" for quite a while even after showing up on eBay . Interestingly the two Nati-horns that recently showed up here sold fairly quickly even with a healthy number of them being on eBay and Reverb. The pretty hard to find signed rosewood spruce that recently sold here was one of the first signed L bodies that I have seen for sale in about 6 months.

One would think ordinarily that the lack of supply might start spiraling the price upward again now that the market seems to be gradually acknowledging the difference ( at least in terms of supply) between the signed and Nati- horns. Interestingly there have been a number of nati horns with more select woods and a higher price point that have languished on eBay and a few other sites.  

Comments

James Traylor's picture

I think it has more to do with the economy, disposable income, uncertainty of the future, and those that have authenic Tim Scheerhorn instruments are holding on to them.

Wink

daver's picture

The whole reso market appears to be flat at present.  We need another "O Brother" cultural event!

Daver

Inveterate Tinkerer

Lakeview's picture

Hmmm Markin must be busy somewhere

hlpdobro's picture

daver:

The whole reso market appears to be flat at present.

Appearances may be deceiving Cool

Howard Parker

hlpdobro "at" gmail.com

Dave Falk's picture

Use your ears and play the sucker.

Lakeview's picture

Does anyone else sometimes completely lose the meanings and context of a thread. I think sometimes I do need a bit more information. I'm lost.

Bill_from_Michigan's picture

Lakeview, I reread your intial post.  IMO, the Nati-Horns are right at the same price point as other current high-end resos.  They will not, however, garner the same market value as one of Tim's original guitars, so they will sell more readily at that lower price point.  I think most people have decided to hold on to their original Scheerhorns because the people that want them (me) can't afford them at this point. I sincerely hope that will change someday, but in the meantime, I already have two killer resos.  Like most, I can't afford a $50,000 stable of guitars. Therefore, I cannot consider myself a collector at this time.  I'm a player.  An $8,000 to $12,000 guitar is gonna sit on the market for awhile.  Current owners see that, and must be speculating a market value increase in the future.  It's all about supply and demand.  Right now, there seem to be more resos in production than when I started on the instrument.  Back then, there was a big gap between imports and artisan-crafted guitars.  As Daver noted, an "O Brother" event would certainly spark a new group of potential buyers.  Another thing to consider; at the time of "O Brother" and several following years, there was a large group of.....no offense to anyone......baby boomers with bucks.  Those are your collectors.  That demographic is dwindling, but the guitars are still in their closet......waiting for players.  It will be interesting to see where market values of these guitars go.  To the collector or the player?

I hope I understood the context of your original post.

daver's picture

To clarify:  I meant the used reso market.  Just doesn't seem to be as active or as "seller-priced" in the classifieds for any resos, Scheerhorns or no.

Lakeview's picture

You got most of the gist of it. I doubt the Nati horns will appreciate much at all. I keep hearing stories of aging boomers with huge collections. Maybe in ten years the market will be flooded as the reaper arrives. 

I would love to see a chart of the progression of prices of signed Lloyd Loar mandolins. I think that I'm going to go on mandolin cafe right now and ask how things evolved up to 175,000. I watch those too and have noticed that the market for them is a little soft as well. Go figure

Lakeview's picture

There are oodles of Lloyd Loar discussions on there , many delving into valuation , appreciation, investments, changes in the market. The fact that Bill Monroe played one that affected its value. Clearly strong parallels. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?127085-So-what-is-the-quot-real-quot-value-of-a-Loar-in-today-s-world/page3

User login