I like this Nati-Horn-its no DeNeve, but it's got its good qualities...

Comments

Greg Booth's picture

Homer Blethy:

Did I mention I'm giving Jennifer Anniston dobro lessons? She's gonna be a dobro player in a movie, and they want her to be able to act out the part better. Its a prison movie.

REALLY? Like reaching around and helping with her vibrato, proper fingering, etc? Does she have her own starter guitar, or are you showing her how to hold your Johnson?

Michael Barton's picture

Ba-dump-bump.

Homer Blethy's picture

I'm not that kind of a boy.

daver's picture

Pat Walker:

Does the Nati-Horn not have trapezoidal fretboard?

Pat, I believe it does, but what Tab is referring to is the height of the strings over the fretboard at the nut vs. at the other end.  Ideally it would be the same at both ends (the plane of the strings exactly parallel to the plane of the fretboard).  His National Scheerhorn is slightly lower at the nut than at the high end of the fingerboard.

bozabus's picture

Don't all Scheerhorns have sloped strings?   I.e. the nut is slightly lower than the bridge.  I think that is what gives the Scheerhorn that feel and tone.  At first, I didn't like it.  But I sure do now.  I see no advantage to having level strings, except if you use a Shubb capo.  

Homer Blethy's picture

No, he's talking about a different time I made an ass of myself on here.

As for the other thing, the level action...Its the parallax view getting messed up that makes me want it level. Look at a pedal steel. You don't see any of them with non-level action.

Homer Blethy:

Au contraire Homer - one of my favorite all time dobro forum threads. You have a golden touch sir with both pick and pen.

Greg Booth's picture

Pat Walker:

Homer Blethy:

Au contraire Homer - one of my favorite all time dobro forum threads. You have a golden touch sir with both pick and pen.

I think I was an active participant in that epic discussion, on Jerry's board. It had to do with whether the string spacing being different at the bridge and nut affects the intonation. As I recall we invoked some dead Greek's theorem and decided that it doesn't. My first online tango with Mr Blethy, hopefully not the last, and a good one!Smile

daver's picture

I thought the tangle/tango was with Noseraftu, the Prodigious Prognosticator of Plectral Passions... Wink

Greg Booth's picture

Oh yeah...right Dave!

User login